.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 29, 2004

The Fayre turned out to be a disaster.

This morning began well enough, with us getting to the Guildhall just before 10 o'clock. On the stage, a bunch of the stall holders had rounded up most of the drums in the hall and were going for it. Someone stuck a drum in my hand and said to join in. Naturally I went all English and cringed. But then I had a go.

And I enjoyed it. Just like a hippie. Don't tell anyone, will you?

It made us all feel positive and energised. A good start. But then the fayre opened and a few folk came in, then it all slowed down again. My friend M came along and said she wanted a photo enlarged for her house, which was good of her, but apart from that...

I went to the bathroom and returned to find some bloke slagging off my rune stones, telling me they 'should all be oblong, so you know which way up they are'. Excuse me, I don't want to know which way up they are from the back. I thought the whole point was for them to be randomly placed, to be interpreted in the way one turns them over.

He spoke to me like I was a five year old. Already in a bad mood, I just looked up at him and said calmly, "Fuck off."

Well, okay, that's what I wanted to do. Instead I said nothing, because I would have told him to fuck off, or I would have cried, and I didn't want to do either of those things. Afterwards, my mood slumped and I knew I was wasting my time. So I packed up and left, and stole some boxes from the local supermarket for my packing.

So what I have I learned from all this? Not much, actually. Either my art is rubbish, which is always a possibility (although the photos are very accessible) or it was the wrong kind of market, or it was the right kind and the organisers didn't advertise it well enough. Perhaps it was a bit of everything. However, no one else appeared to have done much more than break even at best, so everyone I spoke to was pissed off.

On a happier note, Diva have accepted my submission to their collection of erotica, Va Va Voom (stupid title, eh?). I don't know how it got in, but it's there. I need the money, but I'm very happy about it, too.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?